Here's a checklist of things you can do to help sell your home faster and for the best possible price
When preparing your home for sale the best money that can be spent is on cleaning. If your home is well cleaned it will immediately give potential customers the impression that the house is well looked after.
- Clean the carpets thoroughly
- Make sure all rooms in the house are tidy - make beds, shut drawers and close cupboard doors
- Dust and polish furniture
- Scrub bathrooms and kitchens thoroughly, get an old toothbrush into those difficult spots. For the final touch, hang fresh, clean towels and tea towels
- Wipe down cupboard doors, cabinets and pantries
- Clean windows and any glass around the house - including your mirrors and any glass tables
- Dispose of all rubbish
- Tidy up the garage and any other storage places
- For a finishing touch, a vase of fresh floweres say "this is home"
More light gives the impression of space and brightness which is more appealing to potential customers.
- For day time viewing, draw the curtains back to let as much light in as possible
- For evening viewing, turn on all lights to create a welcoming impression
- Dark rooms can be made to feel larger and roomier by using additional lighting, such as turning on lamps
Walls that need painting, unattractive colours or wallpaper, worn-out floor coverings and dated cabinets, bench tops and appliances can be turn offs to potential customers. But, it isn't always necessary to completely rip and replace.
When updating a kitchen for example, simply paint or relacquer cabinetry that is in reasonable order, update by changing the handles to something modern and then replace just the bench top to give it a new lease on life.
Check your street appeal
The front entry of a house is where potential customers will make a decision about whether to enter or not. Ensure that there is something eye catching in this area to draw them in.
- If your weatherboard paint is in reasonably good condition you can achieve the freshly painted look by just having a soft exterior wash
- In winter get the paths cleaned as well to remove the green grime and moss
- Cut the lawns and tidy the gardens